Friday 31 May 2013

Fridays Finds: I Heart Garage Sales




A few weeks ago, I went home to spend time with my family for the Mother's Day weekend. Well, since my car broke down while I was there, the weekend soon turned into the week, which was a little too long for my liking, but nonetheless I had a great time catching up with my family, and Jake's as well, and particularly enjoyed spending quality time with my mum. 

While I was home, mum, my Aunty Bridget, Jake and I set off to enjoy one of mine and mum's favourite past-times together - garage sale hunting! There were quite a few good garage sales around that weekend, and all had items priced to go, so mum spoiled me a little and spent up big! We got quite a lot for our money, with most items only costing a dollar. I was absolutely stoked with what we found!






This tea cup was just begging me to take it home, as it sat lifeless on top of the one dollar box! It was a little dirty when I first picked it up, but I knew it would come up a treat. I'm not familiar with the brand Lucent, but for a dollar I was more than eager to add this little gem to my much loved and used collection!


Who can resist a hanging bottle? I mean, seriously? I can't! I dunno why I wanted this little thing so bad, but I did and I brought it home with me for another dollar and am planning to hang it on my verandah, as soon as I figure out how!


This cherry blossom plate is so cute! It is unmarked, but for only three dollars, I couldn't pass it up! Cherry Blossoms are a little bit of an obsession of mine, and I think serving my guests bikkies on this plate would go down mighty well! Not to mention save my clumsy hands from potentially breaking my good ones!



I wasn't that sure about this cane spice rack, but mum insisted it would be a good buy at two dollars, and boy was she right! I have such limited cupboard space in my kitchen, and love to use a variety of spices in my meals every day, so having this next to the stove is an absolute treat! I'd love to pretty it up a little, but we will jus have to wait and see!


Last but not least is this little set of bowls which I picked up for a dollar for the three. They're not in the best condition, but since I collect this pattern (the name of which just will not come to me right now, but I'm sure the brand has something to do with King and it could possibly be called Harvest Lustre Ware if that isn't just a name I made up in my head) I just had to have them! Below you can see my collection so far in full. I got the rest of it from an op shop for $2.50 for the lot and I have to say, those are my most used tea cups, I think! They are just so pretty and shiny, I love them! Nan has more of the collection and has promised it will be mine one day, but for now I love the pieces that I have and will definitely be keeping on the look out for more reasonably priced bits to add to my collection!


Have you had any great finds lately? I always love to hear about people's garage sale and thrift shop adventures. It seems that cheap second hand goods are becoming a bit of a thing of the past lately, and these certainly are the best finds I have had since moving up the coast. I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap they were. If you have any recent finds posts, I would love for you to link them below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment